Registration FAQs

How do I register? What do I need to provide? To register, you firstly need to complete a training course or receive recognition of prior learning. You will then need to fully complete a registration form, attach payment and provide a copy of the training records or training certificate stating the course you have completed. To download a registration form click here

How much does registration cost? You can register for 1 year at $42 or $94 for 3 years. Both prices are GST inclusive. 

How can I pay? TITAB accept payment via Cheque, Money Order, Visa, Mastercard or Amex card. You can also pay in person via cash or EFTPOS at our office in Carlton, Victoria.

What training do I need? To become a registered cabler you must complete the appropriate training course for the type of cabling registration that you require – Open or Restricted.

If you want to work in commercial and domestic premises, you must have an Open registration. If you only want to work in domestic premises you are only required to obtain a Restricted registration.

In addition to completing a training course, you must also havea minimum of 80 hours cabling experience for Restricted Registration and 360 hours cabling experience for Open Registration and have completed a relevant Work, Health and Safety (WH&S) course.

There are a number of Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) around Australia that can assist you with your training needs.TITAB can supply you with a list of training providers that deliver telecommunications courses. Please click here for a list of training organisations.

What is Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)?  RPL is recognition and acknowledgement through assessment of competencies held and acquired through prior learning, formal training, work experience or life experience.

How long does it take to process a registration? Once TITAB have received your fully completed registration form it will take approximately 10 working days for you to receive a tax receipt, certificate and registration card in the mail.

What evidence do I need to provide? To become registered with TITAB you will need to provide the relevant training records from a registered training organisation. There are a number of different training options to gain cabler registration. A copy of the "Pathways to ACMA Cabler Registration" is available to help explain the correct course to attend and what "experience" you will need to become a cabler.

Does CPR registration meet all W,H &S requirements? Basic W,H&S  requirements are met in CPR competencies, however some states, territories and companies often require additional training in W,H&S. Introduction of new technologies such as ADSL will require training in handling higher power than that traditionally encountered in telecommunications. 

Do I need a AS/CA S009:2013 Installation requirements for Customer Cabling (Wiring Rules) Manual?

This was a mandatory requirement under the previous licensing system. Whilst  not mandated by ACMA, a cabling manual is still needed under CPR's and should be updated to cater for variations to technical standards such as AS3080, AS008 and AS009.

This Standard applies to the installation and maintenance of fixed or concealed cabling or equipment that is connected, or is intended to be connected, to a telecommunications network, including any cord or cordage, or that part of any cord or cordage, that is connected as fixed or concealed cabling.

A copy can be downloaded here

Do I have to maintain records of my cabling work?

All cablers must provide a compliance declaration form (a job sign-off form) to the customer. This form is also known as a Telecommunications Cabling Advice 1 (TCA1).

At the end of each cabling job, you must complete the form and give a copy to the customer and employer (if appropriate). It must be completed and signed to indicate that the cabling work complies with the Wiring Rules. A copy of the completed TCA1 form must also be kept by you for at least 12 months and made available to ACMA inspectors and auditors on request. You may make arrangements with your employer to keep TCA1 forms on your behalf but the forms are your responsibility.

You can use the form as it is or you can incorporate the information into your existing invoice or other business forms to avoid additional paperwork. If you do this, then you must include the following statement on your paperwork: "I hereby certify that the cabling work described in this advice complies with the Wiring Rules (AS/CA S009:2013) or its replacement."

Use of the TCA1 form or its equivalent is not required for the following activities:

  • running, transposing, removing jumpers on distribution frames
  • marking, replacing and upgrading cabling records
  1. all testing and transmission measurement activities and
  • replacement of sockets or other minor cabling equipment for maintenance purposes.

TCA1 forms are available for purchase from TITAB. Included in the TCA1 pads is a copy of a TCA2. Click here to download the TCA1 (+2) order form.

How do I know if a cable is an approved type?

  • Cable and cabling product is approved if it has an A-tick symbol on it (or on its packaging) or it is listed on the Certified Components List.


Can I do Cat 5, Coax and Fibre Optic work if I have an Open Registration but no endorsements?

  • As of 1 July 2014, it will be mandatory to have competency in the specialist cabling that you will or propose to be working on. .

What work can I do under each registration type?

  • Under the registration system there are three types of registrations available - Open, Restricted and Lift. You should obtain the type of registration that is most relevant for the work that you are wish to perform.

    If you wish to work in both commercial and domestic premises you will require an Open registration. However, if you only want to work in domestic premises you will require a Restricted registration.

    The following is a summary of the type of work you can do under each registration. For full details, please refer to the Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2000.

    Open - This registration allows a cabler to undertake all types of cabling work from simple cabling in homes to complex structured cabling in multi-storey buildings.

    - This registration restricts the cabler to doing work where the network boundary is a simple socket or a network termination device - typically found in domestic homes and small businesses, not in large commercial buildings. Cablers may also undertake work in multi-storey and campus-style premises where cabling is performed behind a compliant device (eg. alarm panel or modem).

    - This registration type is for connecting telephone cables in lifts.


When Do I Need to Use a TCA1 Form?

  • You must fill out and sign a Telecommunications Cabling Advice Form (TCA1) for every completed job. Ensure you:
    • Provide the completed TCA1 to the customer
    • Clearly describe the work you've done - type of work, where it was located etc
    • Complete all sections using a black pen
    • Retain a copy of the completed TCA1 form for your own records for at least 12 months or give it to your employer for safekeeping.

TCA1 forms are available for purchase from TITAB. Included in the TCA1 pads is a copy of a TCA2. Click here to download the TCA1 (+2) order form.

 Alternatively if you just want a TCA2 then you can download the form here.

When Don't I Need to Use a TCA1?

  • You don't have to complete a TCA1 form in the following situations (although you can if you wish):
    • Testing transmission measurement activities
    • Replacing sockets, detectors or other minor cabling products (excluding cable) for maintenance
    • Marking, replacing and upgrading cabling records
    • Running, transposing and removing jumpers on distribution frames