TITAB is a telecommunications industry registrar for the Cabling Provider Rules.

All building cabling connected to the telecommunications network must be installed by a qualified person who is nationally registered with an Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) accredited registrar under the Cabling Provider Rules (CPR)

As an ACMA accredited, not-for-profit, industry-owned body, TITAB:

  • provides industry advice to enterprises ranging from the major telcos to individual contractors

  • keeps cablers informed via email, newsletters and website access

  • supplies national cabling training manuals

  • has links to training providers

  • recognises specialised competencies or endorsements

  • is responsible for the network of TITAB registered assessors

  • is part of a coalition of enterprises, trainers and other stakeholders for national consistency in training and assessment with an emphasis on the NBN

  • participates in several industry forums and contributes to industry magazines such as the Connection Magazine

  • is member of ADTIA,  Communications Alliance and the Cabling Advisory Group (CAG)

By registering with TITAB you'll get:

  1. a registration card and certificate

  2. experienced advice that makes registering easy

  3. access to qualified training providers

  4. endorsement recognition

  5. regular newsletters that includes industry information

  6. national website listing as a cabler

  7. access to key telecommunications bodies through our industry affiliations


FEE:         1 YR = $42                  3YRS = $94



Complete a competency based training course relevant to the type of registration that you are applying for, including an OH&S unit.

Type of cabling registration:


This registration allows a cabler to undertake all types of cabling work, from simple cabling in homes to complex cabling in multi-storey buildings, except for work that requires a specialised competency.


This registration restricts you to doing work where the network boundary is a simple socket or a network termination device-typically found in domestic homes and small businesses rather than large commercial buildings. Cablers may also undertake work in multi-storey and campus-style premises where cabling is performed behind a compliant device (for example, an alarm panel or modem). Restricted registration work must not require the use of jumpable or patchable type frames, or distributors and writing records.


This registration type is for installing and maintaining communications cables in lifts and lift wells.


If you are required to install specialised cabling (previously known as endorsements) you will also need to complete the competency based course that is relevant to your work. These can then be added to an Open Registration.

i.e. Structured Cabling – Optical Fibre Cabling – Coaxial Cabling

      Underground Cabling   Aerial Cabling


Work Experience Criteria

You will need 360 hours of work experience if applying for an Open Registration or

80 hours work experience if applying for a Restricted Registration.

Supply one of the following to cover the work experience criteria:

- An experience statement signed by a Registered Cabler or

 - A copy of your Certificate III in Electrotechnology or Telecommunications or

- A copy of your Electrical Licence or 

- A statutory declaration detailing your experience


After you have met the relevant training and experience requirements you can apply for a TITAB Cabler Registration.

Print and fully complete theTITAB Cabler Registration form.

Send all documents to TITAB via email, fax or mail together with payment. Include the following:

1/   Fully completed Registration form including payment

2/  A copy of the Official Transcript of Results issued by a Registered Training Organisation that includes the Telecommunications and the OH&S units.

3/  Evidence of your experience (see above)

All emails will be replied to as soon as possible.

Your registration will be processed within 10 working days of receipt of all required documents and payment.


The fees to become a registered cabler with TITAB are:

$42 for 1 year registration OR $94 for 3 years of registration


Send to:


Post: PO Box 348 Carlton South VIC 3053

Fax: 03 9650 0485

The Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2000 (CPRs) regulates the cabling industry and ensures that cabling requirements are in place to promote safety and maintain network integrity.

The registration type you require will depend on the type of cabling work you will be undertaking. There are three types of cabling work:

  • restricted cabling work
  • open cabling work
  • lift cabling work.

These categories of cabling work are defined in the Telecommunications Cabling Provider Rules 2000 (the CPRs). There are also additional competencies (previously known as endorsements) that are required if you will be undertaking any specialised cabling work.

You must hold the appropriate cabling registration, or be directly supervised by the holder of the appropriate cabling registration, if you intend to undertake any work on customer cabling.

All cablers should make themselves familiar with the requirements of the Cabling Provider Rules.

For any further information please contact the ACMA on

Experience Statements

  1. A candidate applying for Restricted Registration must provide proof of a minimum of 80 hours actual on-the-job cabling experience. To download a statement outlining experience please click here.
  2. A candidate applying for an Open Registration must provide sufficient evidence of 360 hours actual on-the-job cabling experience. To download a statement outlining experience please click here.
  3. A candidate who only has the minimum of 80 hours additional cabling experience, and is applying for Open Registration, can be registered as a Restricted cabler.To download a statement outlining experience please click here.
  4. Once they have gained a further 280 hours of on-the-job cabling experience they can then apply for Open Registration. To download a statement outlining experience please click here.

Statutory Declaration

A statutory declaration is a written statement that allows a person to declare something to be true.

When you make a statutory declaration, you are declaring that the statements in it are true. If you intentionally make a false statement in a declaration, you can be charged with an offence. The penalty for making a false statement in a statutory declaration is a maximum of four years imprisonment.

If you have concerns about a false statutory declaration or a false witness, contact the Australian Federal Police.

Commonwealth statutory declarations

Commonwealth statutory declarations are made on matters relating to the Commonwealth or the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), and some smaller territories. They are not used for declarations on matters relating to Australian states and territories.

A Commonwealth statutory declaration must be signed in the presence of someone who is on the list of authorised witnesses. If you are authorised to witness Commonwealth statutory declarations, you may be able to witness state or territory declarations as well, if the local law states that:

  • an authorised Commonwealth witness can also witness local statutory declarations, or
  • a person with your occupation or position can witness local statutory declarations.

Please click here to download a copy of a Commonwealth Statutory Declaration.